Tuesday 13 May 2014

Sensitive skin: Is all-natural skincare always the better choice?



Lately I've been noticing how popular natural beauty products are becoming. Even classic brands like Nivea and Neutrogena have released natural lines. Many women (and men) have begun to switch out their everyday products for all natural alternatives, whether it be toothpaste, haircare, deodorant, etc. Skincare however, is the major thing that has begun to change. People are becoming more informed about the harmful effects of parabens, sulfates, mineral oil, etc, and are therefore beginning to use natural skincare that is free of those harsh chemicals and preservatives, and instead uses pure extracts from the earth to fulfil everyday beauty needs.These natural products are said to be way healthier for our skin and I do agree to some extent. I never understood the need to include chemicals and artificial fragrance in a basic face cream. We are definitely better without all that; it's just not necessary! However, there are certain situations where it pays to be careful about what natural products you put on your face or body. Just because it's natural doesn't mean that you won't have a reaction. Let me explain.

I went all natural a few months ago in an attempt to steer clear of chemicals and such because I wanted something healthier for my sensitive skin. However, I still didn't see great results from numerous natural, or even organic products. I used high end organic products, to cheap ones you can grab at your local health store, and I still reacted until I realized my grave mistake. I was essentially putting plants on my face and I have ragweed allergies! After doing some research on google, I was horrified to realize that ragweed has some very close relatives; they include chamomile, daisy and cucumber to name a few, all of which are commonly found in tons of natural products. If you have allergies, be sure to read the ingredient list! What may work amazingly well on someone may not work for you if you are sensitive to certain plants or herbs. Tons of fruit extracts are included in natural products as well. Imagine if someone allergic to strawberries unknowingly used a product with strawberry extract. This is when it's best to be careful when it comes to natural skincare.

In addition, people who have sensitive skin should also be cautious. Not every natural substance on this earth is necessarily good for your skin. Peppermint on sensitive skin prone to redness would probably sting pretty bad. Same with rosemary. Some plant extracts and herbs are simply to stimulating and astringent for certain skin types. Here are some examples of ingredients that could be potentially harmful.

- geranium oil
- lemon
- cinnamon (this one makes me cringe)
- peppermint
- lime
- witch hazel
- all citrus (grapefruit, orange)
- sage
- basil

Those are only few ingredients that could possibly irritate sensitive skin. I am simply saying that those with sensitive, reactive, or even allergic skin should be careful - many believe that going all natural will solve their sensitive skin woes, but depending on the individual, it could make matters worse.

However, those who have less sensitive skin may have absolutely no issues with these ingredients, so if it works for you, awesome. If using all natural products is helping your skin to thrive, stick with it! It's definitely better for the environment. If I could use that stuff, believe me I would. But for me, I need to make sure I read the ingredients list thoroughly before purchasing something. If your like me, I find its best to find products with minimal ingredients. There are tons of products out there free of parabens, preservatives, and fragrance without being completely "all-natural." Neutrogena has an ultra gentle fragrance free cream cleanser that contains no preservatives. It's pretty awesome, and is hypoallergenic. Or something like dead sea mud as soap. That stuff is great too. It's all about finding what works for you.

What are your thoughts? Natural or no?

No comments:

Post a Comment